Click on any of the boxes below to view educational offerings on the subject. More modules will be added as they are completed. Feel free to email us additional topics you’d like to see covered here!
The following videos and webinars are part of the education and training components of the Rising Tide Pilot Angel Training Program and were created by the Angel Capital Association, Go Beyond Investing, and Next Wave with support from the Kauffman Foundation.
Instructional Videos -The following are instructional videos were produced for the Angel Training Program by the Angel Capital Association and Go Beyond Network US. Each podcast is about 20 minutes in length:
- The role of the angel investor – where we fit in the economic development cycle of an entrepreneurial company. The importance of a diversified portfolio, as part of an investment strategy. (Go Beyond)
- Due Diligence: process and content, including using experts and the importance of reference calls. (Go Beyond)
- Funding start-ups: What is the financing landscape for start-ups: including crowdfunding and business angels. For each type of financing, a description, the benefits/risks and timing are provided (Go Beyond)
- Business Model Fundamentals: What are the components of an economic/business model of a start-up? What are the drivers? How will the company scale? (Go Beyond)
- Introduction to Company Valuations: What are common definitions and methods used to value a startup? How are valuations negotiated with entrepreneurs? (Go Beyond)
- Introduction to Reading Financial Statements: This covers Profit and Loss (P&L), Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow Statements. What do they often look like for startups? What do you look for? What do you avoid? (Go Beyond)
- Introduction to Term Sheets: Which legal documents are often used to make an investment? What is the common structure of Term Sheets/Shareholder Agreements? What are some keys clauses used? What are some insights from experience? (Go Beyond)
- An Introduction to Managing Follow-On Funding (Go Beyond)
- Introduction to Capitalization Tables (Slides) (Simple Cap Table) (Instructions) (ACA)
- Pro Rata Rights and Dilution (ACA)
Webinars ‐ The Angel Capital Association developed six new hour‐long webinars for the Rising Tide Pilot Angel Training Program. These programs are delivered live by top angels – often including the lead investors from our pilot fund – and archived for viewing at any time. Click on the webinar you wish to view (You will need to submit your name and email in order to view them)
- Angel Investing Portfolio Strategy: what to know before your first investment
- A Beginner’s Guide to Term Sheets
- Key Points of Term Sheets
- Valuation of Pre‐Revenue Companies
- Conduct Due Diligence Like the Pros
- The Basics of Cap Tables
These webinars intentionally overlap with some of the podcast programming in order to build learning and understanding (sometimes people need to hear things twice or in a different way to really understand concepts) and they also provide those participating in the live programs to ask questions.